Worldwide Pokemon League
Please log into the site, or sign up if you don't have an account!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Worldwide Pokemon League
Please log into the site, or sign up if you don't have an account!
Worldwide Pokemon League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Debate on Item Clause

+2
Blue11
Dragon9
6 posters

Go down

Debate on Item Clause Empty Debate on Item Clause

Post by Dragon9 Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:45 pm

I would like to raise the issue of Item Clause. I personally think it is a pointless clause. I will give you reasons as too why I feel it should be removed from WWPL standard clauses.

Leftovers are vital for walls and tanks without them it wrecks the defensive capabilities of most tanks.No Leftovers makes bulky pokemon pretty useless, on that same vein, it also wrecks the offensive capabilities of most sweepers,like, if you used Scarf and Band already, your Staraptor is screwed.

A proper stall team needs about 6 leftovers, so 2 is so not enough, even a normal team like mine runs about 3-4.

Exploders need their life orbs without these they may fail to KO, but with you using the life orb on the exploder you can't run a mix attacker or a pokémon that gives a lot of type coverage like Deoxys-S or an Electivire.

I do not see how having 6 leftovers or in fact any item except focus sash which is a bit unfair. Maybe put a limit on focus sash at like 3, but other than that no standard items are unfair.

If you agree with me please have your voice heard, maybe we could have a vote to decide if it stays or goes, but it seriously is a terrible un-needed clause.
Thanks for taking the time to read mine and I'm sure other peoples opinion on Item Clause.
Dragon9
Dragon9

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-01-12

Back to top Go down

Debate on Item Clause Empty Re: Debate on Item Clause

Post by Blue11 Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:48 pm

I think the item clause is very important and doesn't need to be changed. Some people might not have many leftovers, so the ones who don't have alot might find it unfair if their opponent has 6.
Blue11
Blue11
Post Master
Post Master

Male Number of posts : 1172
Friend code : 5241 9954 1789
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Candy Chart
Candy:
Debate on Item Clause Left_bar_bleue95/1000Debate on Item Clause Empty_bar_bleue  (95/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitch Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:50 pm

The item clause is ok and if it came to voting it out I would vote to keep it because it makes perfect sense...
Mitch
Mitch

Male Number of posts : 91
Power Ranking : To Chill To Fight ppl(only fought once and won it too!)
Registration date : 2007-09-02

Candy Chart
Candy:
Debate on Item Clause Left_bar_bleue0/0Debate on Item Clause Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon9 Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:52 pm

Not exactly constructive commenting. Please explain why it should be kept. And Blue that was besides the point, if you want I can give you items <_<. Did you even read my article because that was amazingly quick <_<. Also how is your opponent having 6 a gamebreaking move <_<.
Dragon9
Dragon9

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellrider Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:59 pm

I completely agree with you. The only reasons rules are even used is to limit or eliminate luck and broken mechanics as much as possible. Some people use originality or finding the same item on multiple Pokemon "boring" as a standpoint for the defense this clause. However, that is arbitrary and has no basis from a competitive standpoint. In other words, originality has no place in a competitive game. As far as I know there are no broken items, so there's no need for this clause. As for Focus Sash, I'd go as far as to say Stealth Rock is on 90% of teams these days, and it make said item useless, and that's if the Poke doesn't take any damage on the switch-in.

Last edited by Hellrider on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hellrider
Evil Space Duck
Evil Space Duck

Male Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Candy Chart
Candy:
Debate on Item Clause Left_bar_bleue2/8Debate on Item Clause Empty_bar_bleue  (2/8)

Back to top Go down

Post by Latios Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:01 pm

*moved to the pokemon center*

Also, some clarification from the admin-side of the site: While The Items clause is one of the site's clauses, the clauses in general here vary from tournament to tournament and match to match. We don't have a set-in-stone clause list, mainly because no one ever agrees on which clauses to follow <_< (and it adds some depth to different tournaments)

Anyway, that's where the Pokemon Center comes in, you guys are the most knowledgeable members on the subject, and the best debate possible would most likely take place here.

Lol @ hellrider posting before I could make the *moved to etc* post
Latios
Latios
Lead Administrator
Lead Administrator

Male Number of posts : 1894
Friend code : (brawl) 5112-3249-7754
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Candy Chart
Candy:
Debate on Item Clause Left_bar_bleue470/1000Debate on Item Clause Empty_bar_bleue  (470/1000)

http://www.wwpl.phpbb9.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon9 Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:07 pm

Yup I completely agree with you also Hellrider. I understand that different tournaments have different rules. But I am basing this on the standard rules. I personally think it should be removed from the standard rules. But yeah lets here what the others have too say. Something tells me that they'll agree xD.
Dragon9
Dragon9

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennet3 Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:43 pm

I now believe with Tyranitar and hippowdon being popular it makes most focus sashes useless which is the reason for most item clauses. Life Orb is an item needed for alot of pokes now including the ever popular mixape.
Bennet3
Bennet3
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 571
Power Ranking : A class
Friend code : 4341 3387 3170
Registration date : 2007-08-21

Candy Chart
Candy:
Debate on Item Clause Left_bar_bleue0/0Debate on Item Clause Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down