Worldwide Pokemon League
Please log into the site, or sign up if you don't have an account!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Worldwide Pokemon League
Please log into the site, or sign up if you don't have an account!
Worldwide Pokemon League
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Current Tier List & Discussion.

+2
Bennet3
Ghost42
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Current Tier List & Discussion. Empty Current Tier List & Discussion.

Post by Ghost42 Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:48 pm

Discuss any changes to the tier list, please give reasons to your arguments.

Latest changes:

Ambipom, Umbreon, Claydol => TBD (To Be Debated).
Azumarill, Deoxies-S=> BL.

The tier list is currently:
(Spoiler to prevent page scroling.)
Spoiler:

To be updated.

Last updated: 19/08/08.
Last reviewed: 19/08/08.

Last edited by Ghost42 on Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:23 pm; edited 5 times in total
Ghost42
Ghost42
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-09-08

Candy Chart
Candy:
Current Tier List & Discussion. Left_bar_bleue-5/1000Current Tier List & Discussion. Empty_bar_bleue  (-5/1000)

Back to top Go down

Current Tier List & Discussion. Empty Re: Current Tier List & Discussion.

Post by Bennet3 Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:39 am

Well to start we should place those three that currently have no spot. Smeargle I would place as BL seeing has it is used quite a lot, I don't believe it can compete in OU metagame. I would place Swellow in BL or maybe even UU for the same reasons as Smeargle. Wobbuffet with its high HP, Shadow Tag ablility, and its access to the moves Counter and Mirror Coat, it should be placed as Uber.
Bennet3
Bennet3
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 571
Power Ranking : A class
Friend code : 4341 3387 3170
Registration date : 2007-08-21

Candy Chart
Candy:
Current Tier List & Discussion. Left_bar_bleue0/0Current Tier List & Discussion. Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post by sarge51 Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:30 pm

Swellow?I understand Smeargle and Wobbuffet,but Swellow?Well,imo I think Swellow should be placed in BL.
sarge51
sarge51
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Male Number of posts : 882
Friend code : D/P FC:3566 4690 5758 Plat FC: 4769 3326 5774 Brawl FC:4854 7747 1134
Registration date : 2007-08-23

Candy Chart
Candy:
Current Tier List & Discussion. Left_bar_bleue135/1000Current Tier List & Discussion. Empty_bar_bleue  (135/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellrider Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:36 pm

On the subject of the Pokemon not yet placed, I think Swellow should probably be BL for reasons stated above, also because he lacks a way to deal with the OU Steel types that are already on a lot of teams to absorb Garchomp Outrages. He may even be UU, but I don't play UU a lot so I can't say I know whether or not he would be an overpowering force in that enviroment. I agree with bennet about Smeargle and Wobb. Smeargle can wreck your team if you can't stop it. I also noticed that Deo-Speed isn't anywhere on the list. I did a CTRL+F search and it didn't come up with anything.
Hellrider
Evil Space Duck
Evil Space Duck

Male Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2008-01-28

Candy Chart
Candy:
Current Tier List & Discussion. Left_bar_bleue2/8Current Tier List & Discussion. Empty_bar_bleue  (2/8)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost42 Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:09 am

sarge51 wrote:Swellow?I understand Smeargle and Wobbuffet,but Swellow?Well,imo I think Swellow should be placed in BL.
The reason Swellow wasn't ranked is because of its speed being the same as Weavile with its Facade being about double Weavile's Ice Punch one powered up (or about 30% more if the Weavile has a Choice band), the only thing that prevents it from being a decent physical sweeper is its attack pool is limited to Facade, Steel Wing, U-Turn, Brave Bird and Quick Attack and most will have either Protect or Substitute to activate a Burn/ Toxic orb which also makes it predictable.

As for Deoxies - S, I was either going to put it in to OU or yet to be confirmed.

I'll move the Unknowns now.
Ghost42
Ghost42
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Candy Chart
Candy:
Current Tier List & Discussion. Left_bar_bleue-5/1000Current Tier List & Discussion. Empty_bar_bleue  (-5/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellrider Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:07 pm

After taking another quick glance I've seen a few of things that should probably be bumped down. I'll only include short descriptions of why I think they should move for the sake, but if I asked I can give detailed ones. I will only list things that I've actually playtested with.

Things that should move down:

OU->BL

Azumarill- great attack, but not OU sweeper material
Claydol- Pursuit, gets taken down quickly
Milotic
- Can't wall as good as last gen, gets taken down quickly
Rhyperior- even with Solid Rock 2 4x resistances kills it, easily taken down
Jolteon- can't do much else but Sub or Agilipass, and maybe Subpetaya, not enough attack power
Dugtrio- can't revenge kill well this gen, needs CB to do damage
Umbreon- set up bait, can't take a super-effective hit, ruined by Taunt
BL->UU
Medicham- Can't deal damage effectively, low speed
Dewgong- haven't tested, but pretty sure about this one
Drifblim- can't compete in OU
Scyther- strong force in UU, but can't quite do it in OU
Golduck- battled these a few times, not suitable for OU
Luxray- can't really hurt much
Nidoking- only useful in certain situations in OU, otherwise can't compete
Pikachu- can't do anything in OU
Sharpedo- can't sweep in OU
Raichu- same as Pikachu in terms of being underpowered
Meganium

Last edited by Hellrider on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Hellrider
Evil Space Duck
Evil Space Duck

Candy Chart
Candy:
Current Tier List & Discussion. Left_bar_bleue2/8Current Tier List & Discussion. Empty_bar_bleue  (2/8)

Back to top Go down

Post by sarge51 Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:15 am

i say deoxys S for OU, ghost
sarge51
sarge51
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Friend code : D/P FC:3566 4690 5758 Plat FC: 4769 3326 5774 Brawl FC:4854 7747 1134

Candy Chart
Candy:
Current Tier List & Discussion. Left_bar_bleue135/1000Current Tier List & Discussion. Empty_bar_bleue  (135/1000)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost42 Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Thanks for your input Hellrider, however I think you mis-read the BL part of the list, unless you put OU instead of BL by accident.

Driftblim, Golduck, Luxray, Nidoking, Pikachu (w/ Light ball), Scyther, Sharpedo and Raichu have been marked as BL, not OU.

I do agree there need to be changes to some of the pokemon you've suggested, I just need to make sure you understand BL =/= OU and wether the way I put it is easy to read.
Ghost42
Ghost42
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Candy Chart
Candy:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellrider Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:20 am

I'm pretty sure I didn't get much mixed up, though I may have in a few cases. By can't compete in OU I meant that since BL is the banlist for UU, those Pokemon must either compete in the OU or Ubers metagames, which they aren't capable of. Everything I listed should be bumped down a tier, in my opinion. I plan to start doing the UU Ladder on the Smogon Shoddy server pretty soon so that I can improve my knowledge overall on that tier, however I think the ones I listed for bumping down from BL to UU won't overpower the metagame strictly based upon their stats, movepool, and viable move sets. They're also considered UU on several other sites. I'm going to go and edit my last post a little bit.

I have a question though, how is this tier list being decided.
Is it done more like the Smogon way, based strictly upon usage, or done the Marriland way, where people debate upon the power of each Pokemon in the current metagame? The usage route would be pretty hard since we're doing WiFi instead of Shoddy, so usage statistics would be hard to get a hold of. Smogon does it by usage since usage is a function of power, meaning things that aren't strong won't be "overused" and vice-versa.

Last edited by Hellrider on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Hellrider
Evil Space Duck
Evil Space Duck

Candy Chart
Candy:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost42 Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:32 am

We will be going by "how viable a pokemon is" method, so power/ usability.

Also Smogon's tier list is based on making the UU and OU tiers balanced as well as usage (ie BL is considered too powerful for UU however aren't used enough for OU).
Ghost42
Ghost42
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Candy Chart
Candy:

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellrider Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:51 am

How are we going to decide how viable things are?

I understand that about the tiers, that's basically what I meant about the BL tier when I said it was a banlist for UU. However, the way Smogon decides it's tiers is by taking the Shoddy usage statistics from the previous month and running each Pokemon's statistic through an algorithm to predict how much it will be used that month. The way they balance things is by holding a test on their suspect ladder, like it's being used right now to test the metagame without Chomp. (I must admit it's a relief not to worry about him.) So the way they balance things and decide tiers are two different and independent processes. WiFi tier list are more complicated since we don't have all that raw data at our disposal.

Sorry if I'm mistinterpreting anything, if something I post is confusing, or has no relevance to the current discussion. Things sound a lot better in my head, but when they come out, it's just bleh and unorganized. I'm pretty tired too, so that's not helping.

~EDIT 8-17-08: It just came to me that the reason I listed those is because I'm pretty sure they're good candidates for UU based on their stats, movepool, and by taking a look at other well-known tier list.

Last edited by Hellrider on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hellrider
Evil Space Duck
Evil Space Duck

Candy Chart
Candy:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost42 Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:04 pm

Granted we don't have the in-game data that Smogon has, we can still access the same data that is used in the theory of game-play, though not as easy we can still work out how usable a pokemon is in competitive play (ie how many hits a wall can take from a specific poke, weaknesses, resistances etc). Though we don't have exact data we can still predict fairly accurately how well pokemon will perform.

As for your third paragraph, your discussions are fine.

As for calculating each pokemon to an exact figure, I knew that will be nearly impossible for a single person to accomplish without making mistakes (as well as likely being biased). One of the main reasons The Pokemon Center was made is to minimalize mistakes and any thing biased when we makes changes to our competitive game.
Ghost42
Ghost42
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Candy Chart
Candy:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon9 Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Ambipom has seen a lot of play and is a great pokémon. So Ambipom to OU.
Dragon9
Dragon9

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2008-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan1 Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:05 pm

Donphan to BL, its lost its touch in the OU metagame with Hippowdon and Pert outclassing it in every way, tank wise and support wise.

Umbreon to BL, too many phazers being used making it very hard to use the Curse+BP combo, limited movepool also. Jolteon to BL, also another with a limited movepool.

Regice to BL, gets outclassed by Blissey, Suicune and Milotic as a special wall.

Yanmega and Vaporeon to OU. Yanmega is a great sweeper aswell as a sleep inducer to cripple teams and with its abilty it can sweep teams if they don't have a good counter. Vaporeon is a great sp wall, has a decent move pool, good for toxic stalling as well as wish healing the rest of the team.

Last edited by Fan1 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fan1
Fan1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Male Number of posts : 368
Friend code : 2706~9250~3736
Registration date : 2007-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon9 Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:12 pm

Lol I automatically thought Yanmega would be OU so I never noticed and Vaporeon has seen a lot of play recently, so now my list to OU is: Yanmega, Ambipom and Vaporeon.
Dragon9
Dragon9

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghost42 Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:44 am

I'll take the arguments, apply what I agree with/ what you have convinced me of and post arguments for anything I don't agree with, if we can't come to an agreement then IMO we should have a vote.
I'll post the updates tomorow as I doubt I'll have time today.

And here it is:

Changes:
Yanmega, Vaporeon => OU.
Ambipom, Umbreon, Claydol => TBC&U (To Be Checked & Updated).
Dugtrio, Jolteon => BL

Hellrider wrote:
OU->BL
Milotic- Can't wall as good as last gen, gets taken down quickly
Jolteon- can't do much else but Sub or Agilipass, and maybe Subpetaya, not enough attack power
Azumarill is more suited to an aggressive physical Tank or what I like to call a wall killer, with a CB can near 2HKO a Bold Skarmory or OHKO a bold Hippowdon with Aqua Tail.
I don't have much experience with Claydol.
I thought Milotic could function as a tank as well as a wall.
You mean Rypherior has two four times weaknesses right?
How often will it see a physical 4x weakness besides Waterfall and the occasional Leaf Blade (given it isn't designed to take special attacks)?
Jolteon with Choice Specs and using Thunder seems to be fairly powerful, granted not very accurate.
Dugtrio will be moved.
How may Pokemon can take a supper effective hit? How many walls/ supporters aren't ruined by Taunt?

Hellrider wrote:BL->UU
Name one Pokemon in UU that has a chance against a Medicham with a Choice Scarf.
As for the rest, you need to remember that Pokemon in BL aren't at the same level as the Pokemon in OU. Saying a Pokemon in BL can't compete in OU isn't really an argument, also WWPL may occasionally start hosting BL tournaments as well as OU and Uber tournaments.

Dragon9 wrote:
Ambipom has seen a lot of play and is a great Pokémon. So Ambipom to OU.

We are not basing the Tier List on usage but rather how well a pokemon performs.
I have considered using Ambi in a few of my teams, there isn't much more powerful than it's Last Resort, has a decent Double Hit, has base 115 speed and it can BP Speed or Special attack, however anything faster than it or something with a priority move will take it out fairly easily.
I see it as a pokemon in between OU and BL.
Anyone else have an opinion for Ambipom?

Fan1 wrote:
Donphan to BL, its lost its touch in the OU metagame with Hippowdon and Pert outclassing it in every way, tank wise and support wise.

Hippowdon can hurt your team a lot if your team isn't suited to a SS.
I don't see how Swampert is a better physical tank besides its ability to use Waterfall and less weaknesses.
I'd also like to point out that Donphan is on of the best spinners (I'd say the best three are Tentacreul, Forretress and Donphan) in the game.

Fan1 wrote:Umbreon to BL, too many phazers being used making it very hard to use the Curse BP combo, limited movepool also. Jolteon to BL, also another with a limited movepool.

Umbreon has Substitute, Wish, BP support as well as the use of Yawn, Covet and Mean Look for annoyance.
Jolteon with a Choice Specs can hurt. Thunder in particular is very powerful, it does have some support in its movepool however it doesn't have the stats. I personally see it between BL and OU.

Fan1 wrote:Regice to BL, gets outclassed by Blissey, Suicune and Milotic as a special wall.

I thought Regice was more of a mix defence special attack tank than a wall.
IMO there are two things that prevent Regice from being a top-class tank, a lack of a recovery move (other than Rest) and it is a defensive pokemon with an offensive type (IIRC Ice has five weaknesses).
Also how may other pokemon have such a powerful balance of offence (base 100 STAB Ice Beam) and defence (Base 80, 100, 200 IIRC).

Yanmega and Vaporeon to OU. Yanmega is a great sweeper as well as a sleep inducer to cripple teams and with its ability it can sweep teams if they don't have a good counter. Vaporeon is a great sp wall, has a decent move pool, good for toxic stalling as well as wish healing the rest of the team.
Done.
I would like to know what you see in Vaporeon that you don't see in Umbreon for support though.
Ghost42
Ghost42
Lead Moderator
Lead Moderator

Candy Chart
Candy:

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan1 Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:30 am

I agree with Hellrider of Azumarill being BL, it can't hurt much in the OU tier, even if it is banded it still is outclassed by other banded pokemon. Why band Azumarill when you can band Chomp, Hera, Pert, Meta?. However i disagree that Milotic to BL, to me personally its the second best wall in the game not including ubers ofcoarse, it can be used to take status and boost its Defence while it already has high HP and SP defence, it's a real pain taking this down, also has a recovery move.

In my opinion, Medicham and Ambipom BL.
Fan1
Fan1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellrider Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:34 pm

Ghost42 wrote:
Hellrider wrote:
OU->BL
Milotic- Can't wall as good as last gen, gets taken down quickly
Azumarill is more suited to an aggressive physical Tank or what I like to call a wall killer, with a CB can near 2HKO a Bold Skarmory or OHKO a bold Hippowdon with Aqua Tail.
I don't have much experience with Claydol.
I thought Milotic could function as a tank as well as a wall.
You mean Rypherior has two four times weaknesses right?Yes, that's what I meant.
How often will it see a physical 4x weakness besides Waterfall and the occasional Leaf Blade (given it isn't designed to take special attacks)? Gyarados, Breloom. Two very commonly used Pokemon. He's also got those nasty weaknesses to Fighting and Ground. Two of the most common physical attacking types. Not up to snuff in OU IMO. Only useful as a CBer, and there are better things for that.
How may Pokemon can take a supper effective hit? Plenty of bulkiess can, and since Umby will probably need to stay in for more than one turn to get anything accomplished, well...
How many walls/ supporters aren't ruined by Taunt? Most other defensively inclined Pokemon have at least one attack to defend themselves if need be. Let's face it, just about anything can come in and set up on Umby, and he can't do a thing to retaliate. SD Luke/SD YacheChomp anybody?

Ghost42 wrote:
Hellrider wrote:BL->UU
Ghost42 wrote:Name one Pokemon in UU that has a chance against a Medicham with a Choice Scarf. He's on the wrong list in that post. I meant push him down to BL instead of OU. My bad on that one.
As for the rest, you need to remember that Pokemon in BL aren't at the same level as the Pokemon in OU. Saying a Pokemon in BL can't compete in OU isn't really an argument, also WWPL may occasionally start hosting BL tournaments as well as OU and Uber tournaments. BL is a faux tier, only meant to be a banlist for UU much like the Uber tier does for OU. However, unlike the Uber tier it has no metagame so there's really no such thing as a "BL Battle/Tournament". I know the tiers completely well. The reason I listed
those is because I'm pretty sure they're good candidates for UU based
on their stats, movepool, and by taking a look at what other
well-known tier
lists have to say

Ghost42 wrote:
Fan1 wrote:Regice to BL, gets outclassed by Blissey, Suicune and Milotic as a special wall.

Ghost42 wrote:I thought Regice was more of a mix defence special attack tank than a wall.
IMO there are two things that prevent Regice from being a top-class tank, a lack of a recovery move (other than Rest) and it is a defensive pokemon with an offensive type (IIRC Ice has five weaknesses). You just pointed out why he needs to be moved down. =\ Don't forget SR, though that kind of ties in with the typing thing. Losing 25% health every switch-in isn't fun.
Also how may other pokemon have such a powerful balance of offence (base 100 STAB Ice Beam) and defence (Base 80, 100, 200 IIRC).

Responses in bold red.
Hellrider
Evil Space Duck
Evil Space Duck

Candy Chart
Candy:

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennet3 Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:48 pm

We should switch gears here and talk about Garchomp and Deoxys-S. I think Deoxys-S should be Uber. Not intirely sure about chomp. Reason Garchomp should be uber it has the same base HP and Hippowdon and better defences then a Swampert. Along with its massive spd and atk its nearly impossible to stop with a team that doenst have a counter designed only for it.
Bennet3
Bennet3
Administrator
Administrator

Candy Chart
Candy:
Current Tier List & Discussion. Left_bar_bleue0/0Current Tier List & Discussion. Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dragon9 Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:59 pm

bennet3 wrote:We should switch gears here and talk about Garchomp and Deoxys-S. I think Deoxys-S should be Uber. Not intirely sure about chomp. Reason Garchomp should be uber it has the same base HP and Hippowdon and better defences then a Swampert. Along with its massive spd and atk its nearly impossible to stop with a team that doenst have a counter designed only for it.
Deoxys-S I think should be uber as it can KO Blissey with Superpower and after a calm mind it has the ability to sweep a team. Garchomp in my opinion is "cheap" its HP is high its speed is high its Attack is very high and combined with a Yache Berry it is very deadly. So I believe Garchomp should be uber. I have heard this line used a few times concerning Garchomp, nothing that can switch into it safely can hurt it and nothing that can hurt it can survive an attack from Garchomp. There's my statement on Garchomp as to why it should be uber Razz.
Dragon9
Dragon9

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennet3 Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:23 pm

Move up Machamp, move down Aerodactly and Lapras
Bennet3
Bennet3
Administrator
Administrator

Candy Chart
Candy:

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan1 Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:28 pm

Dragon9 wrote:
bennet3 wrote:We should switch gears here and talk about Garchomp and Deoxys-S. I think Deoxys-S should be Uber. Not intirely sure about chomp. Reason Garchomp should be uber it has the same base HP and Hippowdon and better defences then a Swampert. Along with its massive spd and atk its nearly impossible to stop with a team that doenst have a counter designed only for it.
Deoxys-S I think should be uber as it can KO Blissey with Superpower and after a calm mind it has the ability to sweep a team. Garchomp in my opinion is "cheap" its HP is high its speed is high its Attack is very high and combined with a Yache Berry it is very deadly. So I believe Garchomp should be uber. I have heard this line used a few times concerning Garchomp, nothing that can switch into it safely can hurt it and nothing that can hurt it can survive an attack from Garchomp. There's my statement on Garchomp as to why it should be uber Razz.

Why should Chomp be uber? there is nothing in ubers to counter Chomp, Chomp gets countered by many pokes in OU. Also Deoxys doesn't OHKO Bliss with Superpower when Blissey is at full health.
Fan1
Fan1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bennet3 Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:56 pm

Fan1 wrote:
Dragon9 wrote:

Why should Chomp be uber? there is nothing in ubers to counter Chomp, Chomp gets countered by many pokes in OU. Also Deoxys doesn't OHKO Bliss with Superpower when Blissey is at full health.
For Chomp I don't think it matters what it does to the ubers tier. It should be based off if it wrecks the current main metagame which chomp does, so it should be uber
Bennet3
Bennet3
Administrator
Administrator

Candy Chart
Candy:

Back to top Go down

Post by Fan1 Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:40 am

Garchomp has been dealth with over a year, it would be kinda ridiculous to put in ubers now. Putting it in ubers will also result in the metagame being slow since walls will be hard to break down.
Fan1
Fan1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Back to top Go down

Post by sarge51 Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:16 am

Fan1 wrote:Garchomp has been dealth with over a year, it would be kinda ridiculous to put in ubers now. Putting it in ubers will also result in the metagame being slow since walls will be hard to break down.

Indeed.And with new strategies and pokemon such as Vaporeon and Bronzong,it would be difficult for Garchomp to adapt itself on the field of battle.Garchomp is also a pokemon that (sometimes) relies itself with items.So if you can predict and anticipate what kind of item it has,then there should be a way to counter it,like fling + Light Ball or Trick Room.
sarge51
sarge51
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Candy Chart
Candy:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next